Pyracantha pruned to pieces

Finally finished off the very severe pruning of the Pyracantha and Buddlia, wanted to get it done before new Spring growth starts in earnest. I will forego the pyracantha flowers and berries this year but it certainly needed doing

I have left some of the larger branches near the path for me to use as steadying handholds when I use the steps

Noticed the warmth has brought on the flowers on the dwarf daffs I bought in a pot from Morrison’s last month, looking good now

Pyracantha at front with bird feeder, buddlia at the back, near the Dalek compost bins

Bit more pruning

The sun came out after a few days of wind and rain, with forecast of more wet to come, I decided to take the opportunity to continue getting ready for Spring.

Continued and finally finished pruning the gooseberry back in bounds, a lot more room around it now, time will tell how the fruiting is impacted, I doubt it will make a lot of change because due to the formidable thorns a lot of fruit was left on the bush anyway

Cracked on with pruning the pyracantha, it really does need a good haircut, even the birds have trouble getting in amongst it. Luckily pyracantha respond well to hard pruning, especially at this time of year before bud break, should generate fresh shoots from well down the bush now. So far I have cut about half of it back, my intention is to finish up with about three foot long trunks before they break again.

The hard pruning means the blossom and berries on the pyracantha will be hard hit this year, but it was getting well out of bounds so has to be done.

Here is what gooseberry and pyracantha were like in 2014

 

You taking the p*ss?

Took the opportunity with first bit of sun for a few days to get out and carry on with the raspberry and general pruning. now I have both buddleia pruned well down to manageable levels, and the raspberries are down to ground level

Made a bit of an inroad into the largest gooseberry, it was getting too big for the spot I have it in, fruitful enough but snags on clothing and washing in the summer. Just removing the old dark wood and some of the lower sprawling branches has given more space already

Added my shredded paper, you know the sort, old bills, letters etc that are not really suitable for general recycling , due to content, I added to my compost Daleks, then sloshed on about two pints of diluted wee to help it all rot down.

The way I figure it, if someone is desperate enough to rummage through my compost to reclaim my wee soaked shopping receipts and stick them back together to find I bought some bread and milk one day they deserve a medal, but they had better be quick, because the wee adds nitrogen which acts as an accelerator and should be down rotted in a month or so

White buddleia pruning

I have a white flowered buddleia in my back garden, variety unknown because it was grown from a cutting I took from a supermarket car park, just as well I did as the parent plants have long since been grubbed up for yet more parking

However over the intervening twenty years of more the cutting took, grew and prospered, being a buddleia it never minded neglect, drought, rain, snow etc, bees, butterflies and all type of flying insects loved it over these years

It had grown very large, the trunk is at least as thick as your arm, and had been allowed, by me, to get over 12 feet high. I decided to give a good sort out this year and bring it back under my control again

The prunings go to the tip, but I used 4 as hardwood cuttings to compliment the other buddleias in the Age Concern border, they should take, especially as the parent started life in similar style

White buddlia before pruning Jan 2017
White buddleia before pruning Jan 2017